2009/06/23

BOMBAY CHUTNEY (KADALAI MAAVU /BESAN CHUTNEY)



INGREDIENTS :
 

Channa dal flour/ Besan flour / Kadalai maavu --- 1 ladle 
Tomato -- 1 
Big Onion --- 1 
Green chillies --- 3 or 4 
Chilli powder --- 1 tsp 
Turmeric powder -- 1 tsp 
Salt to taste 
Curry and coriander leaves . 
Mustard and Jeera --- 1 tsp each 
Hing - 1/4 tsp

METHOD OF PREPARATION : 

 1) Heat oil in a pan . Once hot,add mustard and jeera .When it splutters , add chopped onion , tomato , green chillies and curry leaves . 



 2) Meanwhile , mix a ladle of flour with sufficient water without any lumps . It must be watery not very thick . 




3) When onion and tomato turns tender, add in the flour to it with salt. Stir continuously to avoid any lumps. Cook in slow flame . Wait till the raw smell of flour leaves. Remove from the flame  and garnish with coriander leaves . 



Serve hot with Dosa / Idli.

25 comments:

chef and her kitchen said...

looks yummy dear..We call this as bombai chutney..I love this with dosa..

Padma said...

Very different sambar Shama... looks yummm :)

Finla said...

I have never made sambar with besan flour.
Looks really yumm.

Nithya Praveen said...

I wud say this is a perfect Idli dosa accompaniment.We call this "Dhidir sambhar".Am easy and delicious one:)

Sailaja Damodaran said...

looks easy....

saffronapron.blogspot.com said...

First time I'm hearing of a sambar with besan. That's neat. NO need to cook dal. Nice one shama.

Srilakshmi said...

I call it bombai chutney too! Generally taken along with Puris.. been years since I've tried this! looks good..

Gita Jaishankar said...

THis is very new to me Shama...looks thick and delicious...must have tasted great with idlis and doasas :)

Parita said...

Looks creamy and delicious shama, nice one!

Anonymous said...

I have never herd this dish until now.thank u for new recipe..

Pavithra Elangovan said...

I love this ... perfect with dosa poori etc

Varsha Vipins said...

thats new to me Shama..looks yummy dear..:)

Vrinda said...

This sammbar is new to me,looks easy and yumm,bookmarked it..

kittymatti said...

I love this with puris! Yrz looks great!

Manju said...

never heard of this before..besan in sambar..must be a wonderful idea! i should try this now!

Kalai said...

I've never had this before. Looks great and quick, Shama! :)

Yasmeen said...

A new kind of sambhar for me,looks yum!

Sanghi said...

Yummy shama..!I will put brinjal and potato and add tomato.. We call it kosthu and eat with idli and dosa..!

Raks said...

Oh,sounds so easy and I have made with pottu kadalai,hope this too tastes similar to that!!

Savi-Ruchi said...

lovely sambar, I haven't heard of this before

Vikis Kitchen said...

We call it hotel sambar. love the recipe.
Btw, the 'Potluck - chicken' event round up has been published . Hope u will enjoy it:)

Purva Desai said...

This is a different sambhar.......never heard abt this one....will try this version...thanks for sharing

ashsdelicacies.blogspot.ca said...

This is completely new recipe to me..Will surely try this..Looks delicious!!!

Priyameena said...

I love this side dish...I like to have it with idli...In my hubby family thay call it as kadaapa..

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

Simple and easy one. Looks delicious.

KOLLU IDLI (Horse gram Idli)