Sepangkizhangu / Taro root/ Arbi -- 250 gms
Pearl onions/Sambar onions /Small onions - 1 cup
Garlic cloves - 1/2 cupTomato - 1 (medium)
Tamarind - a big lemon sizeMustard, Jeera and Methi seeds - 1 tsp
Curry and coriander leavesJaggery - a pinch(optional)
Chilli Powder - 2 tsps
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Spicy sesame powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Asafoetida as required
Rice flour - 1 tspSalt to taste
METHOD OF PREPARATION:
1) Wash the vegetable thoroughly and pressure cook for 3 whistles . Once the steam leaves , peel the skin and chopped them . Don't over cook .
2) Heat oil in a kadai . Add Mustard, Jeera and Methi seeds.When it splutters, add onion and curry leaves. Saute till tender.
3) Then , add garlic, chopped tomato and saute them till skinny.
4) Add thick tamarind extract, chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, Sesame powder and Salt. Bring it to boil.
5) Then , add the chopped kizhangu. Add asafoetida. Dissolve a tsp of rice flour in water and add to it to make a thick gravy. Finally, add jaggery to it. Cook till the oil separates out.
Serve hot with Rice .