A warming bowl of Mutton Rib bones Soup (Nenju elmbu Soup in Tamil) gives a soothing relief for cold and chest congestion. This soup is prepared with freshly ground spices. It is commonly prepared at home mostly during Monsoon and Winter. We never missed it in Sunday meals during our childhood days. Today, I am sharing the preparation of this most comforting soup in my grandmother's cooking style.
Mutton Rib bones - 400 gms
Pearl Onions - 50 gms
Garlic cloves - 6
Tomato - 1 small size, well ripened.
Cloves - 2
Cinnamon sticks - 2
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Sesame/ Gingelly oil as required.
Curry leaves and Coriander leaves - a handful
To powder :
Coriander seeds - 1 tsp
Pepper - 1 tsp
Jeera - 1 tsp .
Sukku/ Dried ginger - 1/2 tsp. Blend them finely.
Wash the bones well in cool fresh water with turmeric powder and keep aside.
METHOD OF PREPARATION:
1. Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Once hot, add cloves and cinnamon. When it splutters, add in the well washed rib bones. Saute for few minutes.
2) Then, add crushed onion and garlic to it.
3) Then add chopped tomato and curry leaves.
4) Add 4 cups of water, add turmeric powder and pressure cook for 5-6 whistles and leave it aside till the steam leaves out completely.
5) Remove the lid once the steam leaves, leave it again the flame. Add in the blended powder and salt. Mix it well and bring it to boil for few minutes and garnish it with coriander leaves before removing it from the stove.