Idiyappam is one of the finest breakfast, prepared in many households of Tamilnadu. Children love having this with Coconut, Sugar and mixed with Sesame or Gingelly oil.
My grandmother used to prepare the rice flour using Ural ulakkai and then sieve it. It has a unique taste. It is very difficult to find a house in Tamilnadu without Idiyappam flour.
- Roasted Rice Flour - 1 cup
- Warm water
- Grated coconut
METHOD OF PREPARATION:
1) Knead soft dough with rice flour and warm water.
2) Fill an 'idiyappam' presser with the dough and press it on to idli plates and steam for 5-10 minutes.
3) Serve hot with coconut milk/ grated coconut milk and sugar.
POTATO FRY :
- Potato - 150 gms
- Chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Mustard,Urat dal -1 tsp each
- Onion - 1
- Curry leaves
METHOD OF PREPARATION :
1) Heat oil in a kadai.Add mustard,urat dal.Once it splutters,add onion and curry leaves.
2) When onion turns golden brown,add cleaned,washed and chopped potato.Saute for 2-3 minutes.
3) Add powders and salt.Cover with a lid.Cook in slow flame.Stir it often.Cook till it is completely done.
Serve hot with curd rice or any rice.This goes to Deepa's Cooking for kids --Potato event started by sharmi .
My other entries are
This goes to WYF : Cuisine hosted by easycrafts .