Brussels sprouts is a leafy vegetable like a miniature cabbages. They are rich in fiber, vitamins C and K, minerals, antioxidants and improve blood sugar control.
Now being winter in UK, Brussels sprouts are in season. They form a part of traditional British Christmas dinner.
Here comes a simple dal preparation with Brussels sprouts.
Brussels sprouts - 250 gas
Moong dal - 1/2 cup
Ghee - 1 tsp
Onion - 1 big ( finely chopped)
Tomato - 1 big ( finely chopped)
Green Chillies - 4
Sambar powder - 3 tips
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
For Tadka :
Jeera, Mustard, Methi seeds - 1 tsp
Few curry leaves and Coriander leaves.
METHOD OF PREPARATION :
1) Clean the sprouts and cut them in two halves.
2) Heat a spoon of ghee in a pressure cooker. Once hot, roast the dal for few minutes till the flavour rules out. Add sufficient water, a tsp of Oil and turmeric powder. then pressure cook for 2 whistles and allow it to cool down. Don't over cook the moong dal, it will turn to be sticky and hard.
3) Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan. Once hot, add mustard, jeera, methi, few curry leaves. When it pops out, add finely chopped onion and sauce till golden brown.
4) Followed by finely chopped tomato, sliced chillies and salt.
5) Add Sambar powder and sauce till the raw smell leaves.
6) Add Chopped Sprouts and sauce it for a minute. Add little water, cover with a lid and cook in a slow flame till the vegetable is soft.
7) When the vegetable is cooked, add the boiled dal to it, add sufficient water for dal consistency. Add Asafoetida, cook for 5 minutes till the oil separates out. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Serve hot with Rice.