2009/04/08

VAZHAIPOO VADAI / BANANA FLOWER VADAI

I learnt this recipe from my friend, Anu's mom. They stay in THIRUPPUVANAM , a small historical village near Madurai on Rameshwaram Highway . This village is also located on the banks of River Vaigai .

Lord Shiva's temple located here is a historical famous one . This temple is famous for its Pradhosham pooja . People from in and around Madurai will visit this temple especially on Pradhosams .


Pictures : Google.com , Hindu.com

My friend's home is surrounded my lovely plantain gardens .So,very often they used to prepare this poriyal . Here comes this recipe for you .



INGREDIENTS:

Banana flower / Vazhaipoo ---1 cup (Cleaned)
Channa dal/Kadalai paruppu -- 1 1/2 cup
Curd-1 tsp
Cumin seeds-1 tsp
Ginger - garlic paste - -1 tsp
Green chillies/Red chillies - 3
Onion - 1 :finely chopped
Curry leaves
Salt to taste

METHOD OF PREPARATION:

1) Soak dal for 2 hours.Meanwhile,before chopping vazhaipoo,remove the central stamen along with a small transparent petal(looks like plastic ).Cut vazhaipoo and put it in a small bowl of water.Add curd to it.So that the colour will not change.
2) Blend dal with vazhaipoo,ginger garlic paste,chillies and salt . Blend it coarsely.
3) Add chopped onion ,cumin seeds and curry leaves to the mixture.
4) Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel .Meanwhile make small balls of dough and flatten it.Once the oil is hot,deep fry them .

Serve hot with sauce or chutney.This goes to Recipes for the Rest of Us - Starters hosted by Sunshinemom ,event started by Ramki and Grammathu Kaimanam hosted by me .


Note:

For detailed explanation on cleaning vazhaipoo click viki's post .

29 comments:

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow looks yum.

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

My fav, color looks great and crispy too...

Gita Jaishankar said...

Yummy and crsipy vadai Shama! My favorite combo is vadai and karakuzambu, it has been quite a while since I made these vadais, thanks for reminding dear :)

Anonymous said...

Vazhappo vadai is truly healthy it seems..natural and precious there !!

gtyuk said...

it's been a long time since i ate vazha poo, in India , long back; i don't get it here :)

crunchy and delicious vadai! will come there for tea time!

Uma said...

looks mouth-watering.

Laavanya said...

I love vazhaipoo vadai too. My mom makes a version with ulundhu. This is more crispy though in comparison.

Btw, congrats on completing a year.

Vidhya said...

yummy vadai. Looks crunchy. yummy..

Unknown said...

Wow.. super vadai.. mouthwatering dishes.. looks yummy..

Pooja said...

yummy vadas..

Deepa Hari said...

Yummy vadai Shama.

Varsha Vipins said...

Vazhai poo reminds me of my home n Amma..loved the fritters Shama..:)

sathya said...

Mmm my favourite....looks yum and crispy.

Priya Sriram said...

Oh, am going back to my old days now... Thanks for sharing the recipe girl! :)

Chitra said...

healthy,crispy vadai,my MIL used to do this :)

Unknown said...

vaizhaipoo vadai looks yumm..i have it in my blog too..btw,nice event..will try to send in something..

Sanghi said...

Yummy vadas, my mother-in-law's special, she makes it so good and crispy.
Just sent my entry to your Village special event shama.
Add a gadget on the right displaying the village special event and link dear..!

AnuSriram said...

Vazhapoo vadai is one of my fav, that my mom makes.. Looks delicious! It makes me recollect some sweet memories :)
Hope u got my other two entries for paper craft event... I sent a mail 2 days back..

Chutneytales said...

Vazhapo vadai looks scrumptious..I like this vadai so much..You brought me back the memories of this vadai made by my friends mom..

Premyscakes said...

Wow, i remember those days my mom makes it often. yum yum.

Recipeswap said...

Looks crispy and delish!

sharada said...

had it @ my friend's place...& fallen in love with it..yet to try @ home.
The vadai looks yummy.

Manju said...

ohh!! my boss's mom used to make it for his lunch sometimes and if at all we get a hint of it, we used to somehow go for lunch with him!! this one looks superbly yummy!!

Purva Desai said...

Looks crunchy, crispy and delicious

indhu said...

yummy vaazhai poo vadai... love how crispy they look

- Indhu (www.thayirsaadham.com)

Raaga said...

I've only heard about this... have yet to try,, if I find a vazhaippoo that is. :)

Looks very inviting.

vidhas said...

Lovely vadai Shama. My husbby's favourite.

ARUNA said...

wow first visit here, this looks just awesome! Lovely vadai.

Vibaas said...

looks crispy and tempting :)

KOLLU IDLI (Horse gram Idli)