2009/04/27

SUNDAIKKAI VATHAL KAARA KULAMBHU AND 2 LOVELY AWARDS .



I learnt this yummy recipe from my MIL , whose native is Rettaiyoorani , a small village in Rameswaram District . My hubby's aunt stays there . The village have lots of Palm Trees , sea shore is just 4 km from their house . This place has more  Oorani (a small pond )-- gets water naturally from the ground .

INGREDIENTS :

Sundaikkai vathal --- 1 cup
Onion - 1 cup(pearl onions)
Coconut - 3 pieces
Tomato - 2 small
Jeera - 2 tsp
Mustard - 1 tsp
Garlic cloves --3
Salt to taste
Curry leaves
Tamarind -- a big lemon size
Kulambu milagai powder - 2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Jaggery ( optional) - small piece

To grind :

Tomato - 1
Onion - 1 or 2
Jeera - 1 tsp
Coconut






















METHOD OF PREPARATION :

1) Heat oil in a pan . Once hot, add jeera, mustard .When it splutters , add chopped onion,curry leaves and saute till transparent .




2) Add chopped tomato,garlic, spice powders and saute till it form a thick gravy .



3) Wash sundakkai vathal and then add to the mixture and saute for 5 minutes till the raw smell leaves.

4) Then add the grinded masala , tamarind extract , salt. Lower the flame,cover with a lid and cook till the oil oozes out. Add jaggery powdered 5 minutes before removing from the flame. It will thicken the Kulambhu consistency and add flavour.









Serve hot with rice .Sending this to Grammathu Kaimanam hosted by me .


Dhanya shared me this cute award . Its my pleasure to have it.


Lakshmi , Padma and Dhanya has given me this lovely award. Thank you friends for thinking and you all made my day .

I would like to share these awards with

Gita
Vineela
Deesha
Usha
Ramya Vijayakumar
Chitra
Sangeetha
Happy Cook
Superchef

Enjoy and have more fun .

26 comments:

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Looks very tasty and very authentic dish Shama... Congrats on your award and thanks for sharing it with me... Congrats to the others too...

chef and her kitchen said...

congrats on ur award dear...
Dish looks very traditional...nice entry for your event..

Purva Desai said...

this is new for me...but look tasty...congrats for the awards

Vishali said...

Congrats on ur award dear. And, delicious recipe from ur MIL. thanks for sharing.

Ashwini said...

Recipe lools delish and very authentic. Congrats on your award. Enjoy!

Finla said...

Congrats and thankyou for passing to me also.
Delicious curry i can imagineeating them with plain rice, i really hope i had thisfor my lunch today, i can never make curries like this.

Pooja said...

Very new to me shama..seems like a traditional one..Nice entry..Congrats for your award..

VineelaSiva said...

The curry name is new to me.Congrats on winning the award and also thanx for sharing with me and also my friends.

indhu said...

tasty dish :)
looks very tempting!

- Indhu (www.thayirsaadham.com)

Gita Jaishankar said...

COngrats on the awards Shama, thanks a lot for passing it on sweetheart :) Sundaikai kozumbu is my most favorite...I make at least once a week...I have some sundakai vathals my gandma brought for me.

Chutneytales said...

Sundaikkai vathakuzhambu is my fav..Mouthwatering recipe!!

saffronapron.blogspot.com said...

COngrats on the award.I love vathal kulambu.Typical tamil nadu dish. Yumm

Malar Gandhi said...

Congrats on ur awards, kuzhambu luks delish.

Sweet bonda - yummy too.

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

vathakuzhambu looks tempting and nice shama.

Vikis Kitchen said...

Nice dish. Looks yummy.

Varsha Vipins said...

tasty...:)

Deepa Hari said...

Kuzhambu looks yum Shama...Congrats on ur awards.

Manju said...

delicious kulambu...can u pls put the recipe for the kulambu milagai powder you mentioned in the recipes..im sure its not a store bought one :)

Priya Sriram said...

Colourful vathal kulambu... like the recipe too!

kittymatti said...

kozhambu suuper colour!!! Looks so perfect..
Congratss for the award!

Sangeetha said...

Hey i am little busy these days, sorry could't catch up with all your posts, but surely will check them all. And thanks for sharing your joy(award) with me too thats so sweet of you.

I always loved this vatha kozambu, One of my friends mom used to do this. i have tried this many times, but never got the exact taste. i will try this one too. Surely Looks delicious.

Pria@HC said...

Congrats, Shama. Natural water from the ground into the pond! that sounds too good to me.. different version of vatha kulambu.. got to try this, sometime.

Unknown said...

have tasted sundakkai , but never tried it in my cooking..though am very tempted to add ito my vatha kozumbhu..neevr managed to find it in the indian shop here..looks yumm..

ST said...

Dish looks tempting and inviting..How r u?

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

Delicious and tempting recipe. Congrats on your awards.

gtyuk said...

congratulatiuons on the awards and enjoy!

vatha kozhambu paatha udaney Rettaiyoorani kaathu inga adikkara meri irukku :)

thank you for the recipe :)

KOLLU IDLI (Horse gram Idli)