2008/10/21

VENPONGAL AND CAPSICUM RICE

VEN PONGAL :






CAPSICUM RICE :

This recipe goes to AFAM- Bell Peppers hosted by Priya ,event started by Maheswari.




INGREDIENTS:

Capsicums -5
Rice - 1 cup
Lemon -1
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Grated coconut - 1 1/2 tbsp
Urat dal -2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Red chilies - 8
Few curry leaves
Peanuts - 1 tbsp
Cashew nuts - 8-9
Cinnamon - 1
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Coriander seeds - 1 tsp
Channa dal -2 tsp


METHOD OF PREPARATION :


1) Take a frying pan and with 1 tsp oil in it. Fry the red chilies(6), Cinnamon, coriander(1/2 tsp), cumin seeds(1/2 tsp), urat dal and channa dal till the mixture turns brown. • Remove the pan and allow it to cool.

2) Grind and blend the mixture to make a fine powder.

3) Cook the rice till it is 3/4 cooked. Rinse the water and keep the rice aside for cooling. Add a tsp of oil to it.

4) Heat oil in a pan , add mustard seeds, urat dal , channa dal, red chilies(2), curry leaves, cashew nuts and peanuts.

5) Fry the mixture till it starts fuming.

6) Add chopped capsicum and fry till it they become soft.

7) Then , add grated coconut and fry them till it turns light brown.

8) Finally,add cooked rice, turmeric and salt and fry them for few minutes until the rice becomes hot.

9) Add powdered masala and pour lemon juice. Mix it properly and garnish with coriander leaves.

Serve hot with raitha or any vegetable kurma.

11 comments:

srikars kitchen said...

wow... both looks yummy & deliicous... pongal is my hubby fav. ...

Uj said...

Capsicum rice looks yummy:)

Laavanya said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and leading me to yours. Ven pongal is always a favorite. Capsicum rice looks different to me but sounds equally yum.

Sireesha said...

Capsicum rice looks very very delicious...Pongal is my husbands and my daughters favorite..Looks yumm

Yasmeen said...

Hello Hyderabadi! You've a cool blog:)
Its breakfast time here and Ven pongal with sambhar and chutney are making me hungry:). Capsicum rice is a delicious combo!

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

I love the smell of capsicums when you say capsicum rice oh yaah I just love that idea...

Vij said...

Hi ya!
Thanks for visiting my blog.. I couldnt find my link in your awards list!! :-( was that the suprise u had mentioned!!

Capsicum rice looks so tempting....lovely easy recipe!

Usha said...

Both of these looks delicious :-)

anudivya said...

Love the pongal and the presentation with the little vadais. Very traditional and pretty.

Sujatha said...

My first time to your blog and loved your recipes.. I liked your dal coconut chapathi and have bookmarked.. Pongal looks very tempting..

Srivalli said...

Lovely dishes...thanks for sending them!