2009/07/03

VELLAI THATTAI PAYAR KATHIRIKKAI KOOTU / BLACK EYED BEANS BRINJAL CURRY

INGREDIENTS :

Vellai karamani / thattai payar /Black eyed beans --- 1 cup
Brinjal -- 150 gms
Channa dal -- 2 tsps
Red chillies --10 nos
Mustard and Jeera -- 1 tsp each
Curry leaves
Salt to taste
Coconut pieces --- 7-8 pieces
Tamarind juice -- 3 tbps
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Onion -1

For masala :

Channa dal -- 2 tsps
Red chillies --10 nos
Coconut pieces --- 7-8 pieces

METHOD OF PREPARATION :

1) Dry fry beans ,till the flavours smells out .
2) Then pressure cook for 3 whistles and keep aside .
3) Heat oil in a kadai . Add mustard , Jeera and 2 red chillies . When it splutters , add chopped onion and curry leaves . Saute till tender .
4) Add sliced brinjal and sprinkle little water . Cover with a lid ,cook till tender .
5) Then add the beans , grinded masala , tamarind juice,turmeric powder and salt .
6) Cover with a lid . Cook till the oil separates .

Serve hot with rice . Sending this to Sanghi's --FIL -BRINJAL .

25 comments :

Parita said...

Interesting combination!

Sailaja said...

good with rice..

Ann said...

This is totally a new combo to me Shama..but thats nutrition filled bowl,am sure.

Kalai said...

Definitely a new combo for me, but looks awesome!! :)

Smitha said...

Hey shama,
I love that u make very traditional recipes. Very nice. That curry sounds really nice and healthy.

Vibaas said...

nice combination. looks yummy. i make a similar kootu with eggplant and channa.

kittymatti said...

shmama,this is interesting and pretty simple to make too!!

Padma said...

Lovely combo - perfect with rice :)

Sanghi said...

A new dish to me shama.. Delicious kootu.. Thanks for the yummy entry dear! Any archived entries, do repost linked and send to me da..

Hari Chandana said...

Interesting and healthy recipe.. sounds too good.. lovely click :)

Priti said...

Nice combo..looks gud and healthy

Aysha said...

Hey Shama,this is very new 2 me...I just loved the healthy recipe..Would definitely try it....

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Oh,yes,I wud love to try this combo,my MIL makes this:)

Vrinda said...

Never tried this combo,both r my fav ingredients,will try for sure...

Priya said...

Delicious combo!!

foodcreate said...

Tasty Combanition ! I love your rice recipe and your persantion.

Thanks for sharing your recipe:)


Welcome ~~~
http://foodcreate.com
Join our growing food cummunity and share your recipe and comments.
and if I can visit me I can visit you.

Have a great day!

sangeeta said...

nice curry and healthy too.

Gita said...

Nice combo of black-eyed peas with brinjal...this would taste yummy with rice and rasam :)

Usha said...

Interesting and healthy combination!

sangi said...

Dear.. this is really new to me,loved it's combination...,will try soon..

Priyameena said...

One of my fav...Love to have with rice..

vidhas said...

L love this, i used to make with mochai or with channa.

Ramya said...

A totally new dish!!I have a packet of black eyed beans and i was wondering what to cook..Now ive got the idea..

Valarmathi said...

I love this. Like to have with rice. Looks tasty.

LG said...

I love this combination, infact all kinds of beans plus brinjal tastes awesome..