2009/11/24

MUTTON BONE SOUP / ELUMBU SOUP


Mutton Bone soup has more health benefits. It helps strengthen bones and effective remedy for cold , cough and severe congestion. It boosts the immune system and help children of underweight to gain weight and the necessary nutrients for their growth. This soup can be given to toddlers from 1 year.

INGREDIENTS :
 

  • Mutton bone : 200 gms
  • Tomato -- 1 big  
  • Pepper- Jeera powder -- - 6 tsps 
  • Salt to taste
  •  Curry leaves
  •  Turmeric powder -- 3 tsps 

For Masala : 
  • Pearl onions -- 1/4 cup 
  • Garlic --- 5 cloves
  • Ginger - a small piece

 METHOD OF PREPARATION : 

 1) Wash bones and keep aside . 
2) Heat 4 tbps of oil in a pressure cooker and once hot , add bones and saute for 3 minutes.



3) Then , add grinded masala to it. Saute till the raw smell leaves. Add 2 cups of water.




4) Smash a tomato to it and add curry leaves , turmeric powder, and a cup of water. AddC pepper jeera powder , cook for 6 whistles .




 Serve hot.

This soup goes to Sudeshna's Think Spice : Think Turmeric event ,event started by Sunitha. Other Recipes for the event are : AVIYAL POORI MASALA MASALA DOSAI

20 comments:

Tina said...

Soup looks delicious...Really refreshing one.....

gtyuk said...

this is just reminding me my grandma; it has been ages since I had this; my grandma used to do this soup every sunday and serve us before lunch. thank you for posting this recipe, delicious one!!! and I prefer to be served with the bones ofcourse, even now, my teddies and myself have a great debate on who has got more and who has got less bones on the plate, all of us at home like the bone marrow!! :)

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said...

Hey honey can u pass me that entire bowl of soup..I'm sick of this climate here..will refresh my body and mind!!!

Nandinis food said...

Wow! This is my dad's favourite soup! We also make the same soup except that we don't add chili ! Looks spicy, warm and comforting!

Finla said...

My sis make this soup for her hubby saying he is too thin :-)
This looks spicy delicous.

Sailaja Damodaran said...

My mom use to make this....very good for bones.Yummy....

Vikis Kitchen said...

Elumbu soup looks kalakkal dear.

Gita Jaishankar said...

Spicy and yummy soup dear :)

Priya Suresh said...

Superb dish, my mom used to make this every sunday..brings me loads of beautiful memories..

priya said...

looks so yummy....healthy soup!...mouth watering clicks!

Malar Gandhi said...

I am hungry looking at this picture...miss mutton so much here!!:(

Sarah Naveen said...

Mutton soup looks so yummy...
My brother used to take this a lot , since he was sooo skinny ...[:)]..
Pass me that bowl..ooh..m drooling

Priyameena said...

My favorite..I love this soup...beautifully done!!

Rekha shoban said...

very very healthy one...

Sum Raj said...

i dont have mutton but the soup looks soo good

Menaga Sathia said...

soup loks yummy yummy...

Recipeswap said...

Im sure this soup will kill any kind of cold!

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

Looks very yummy....

my kitchen said...

refreshing one,bookmarked

sangeeta said...

feel like making this soup right now..

KOLLU IDLI (Horse gram Idli)