Toor dal -1 cup
Gongura leaves-3 cups
Red chillies - 3
Turmeric powder -1 tsp
Salt to taste
Fenugreek/Methi seeds - 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
Jeera - 1 tsp
A pinch of asafoetida
Sambar powder - 1 tsp
Onion - 1 finely chopped
Garlic cloves - few
METHOD OF PREPARATION :
- Pressure cook the dal with turmeric powder and a spoon of oil for 5-6 whistles till the dal is cooked well.
- Meanwhile ,heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds,jeera and fenugreek seeds.
- When they splutter, add asafoetida and red chillies.Saute for few seconds.Then add chopped onion and saute till tender.
- Then , add well washed gongura leaves . Cover with a lid for a minute in a slow flame .The leaves will be cooked well.
- Add dal and salt with little water .Mix well.
- Bring it to a boil and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Serve hot with hot rice.Linking it with Vegan Thursday
Prerana's Cooking with Greens