2009/06/21

KOVAIKKAI PORIYAL ( IVY GOURD)



INGREDIENTS: 

Kovaikkai - 1/2 kg 
Sambar onions - 10 
Red chillies - 10 
Mustard ,Jeera,Urat dal - 1/2 tsp 
Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp 
Salt to taste 

TO GRIND : Onion + Red chillies - add little water,grind coarsely. 

METHOD OF PREPARATION :

1.  Mix kovaikkai with a tsp of turmeric powder and salt. Leave for 10 - 15 minutes. 

2. Heat oil in a kadai. Add mustard,jeera and urat dal.When it splutters, add chopped kovaikkai and fry them for few minutes. Cover with a lid. Wait till it is half cooked. 


2) Then add the grinded masala and chilli powder. Mix them well and leave in slow flame till it gets dry  and cooked.



Serve hot with Rice.


METHOD OF PREPARATION : 1) 2) 

25 comments:

Finla said...

Poruyal looks really yumm.

Chitra said...

oh kovakai special posts...this also looks easy and yum!!

Parita said...

Looks tasty, never used sambhar onions and red chillies together..sounds interesting! will try this

Unknown said...

Looks so delicious Shama... my fav veg fry

Hari Chandana P said...

mmm very interesting recipe..looks perfect.. :)

Dhanya Ganesh said...

I am a huge fan of kovaikkai. Poriyal looks delicious.

Gita Jaishankar said...

I love kovakkai Shama...I usually prepare them without adding onions...your dish looks yummy...I have to try out your version soon :)

chef and her kitchen said...

I love this veggie...looks yummy..

Anonymous said...

healthy recipe.

Raks said...

Sounds so spicy!!Nice recipe:)

Priya Suresh said...

Looks so spicy and delicious!

lissie said...

tasty kovakkai poriyal...loved it!
lissie

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

Looks yummy!

Vrinda said...

I lov tindora fry..perfect with rice...

Srilakshmi said...

One of my fav veggies.. looks so delicious!

kittymatti said...

this looks great shama..the recipe is interesting..why should we add salt and turmeric before? does it make the veggie tender?
I have a big prob cooking fresh kovakka in US. Tehy are very hard and dont cook fast...

Unknown said...

My fav curry. First time here you have a nice blog.

Kalai said...

I love this poriyal recipe! Have never tried it with ground masala before. Looks great, Shama! :)

saffronapron.blogspot.com said...

I used to love kovakkai when I was in school. But one day of an overdose and I never had it again :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot.....

Pavithra Elangovan said...

One of fav vegetable.. looking so good and tempting

Savi-Ruchi said...

interesting, never used sambar onions to any of the stirfry's. Picture looks cool.

Saritha said...

Simple curry yet delicious :)

lubnakarim06 said...

Oh wow......simple and delish...

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

Simple one. Looks yummy.

KOLLU IDLI (Horse gram Idli)