A Simple Rangoli in my home................
It is a traditional way of cooking pongal in pots . Mainly mud pots , since i couldn't get them , i used stainless steel pot.We used to tie turmeric and flowers around the pot .Decorate them with santhanam and kumkum .
SWEET PONGAL / SAKKARAI PONGAL :
Rice - 1 cup
Moong dal - 1/2 cup
Milk - 1 cup
Jaggery as ur wish --i used 200 gms
Cashews,Badam and elachi --few numbers
METHOD OF PREPARATION :
1) Boil water in a pot . Once it starts boiling , add rice and dal.
2) Leave in medium flame and cover it with a lid.
3) Meanwhile dissolve jaggery with hot water and filter the impurities .
4) Once the water in rice is drained completely , add jaggery syrup and mix them well .
5 ) Leave it flame till it thickens .
6) Add milk before removing from the flame . Temper it with ghee roasted cashews,badam and elachi .If u wish u can add more ghee to pongal .
PUMPKIN PORIYAL :
Sweet pumpkin is a must curry on pongal day.
Pumpkin - 150 gms
Green Chillies - 2
Onion - 1
Mustard,Urat dal - 1 tsp each
Salt to taste
METHOD OF PREPARATION:
1) Heat oil in pressure cooker . Add mustard and urat dal . Once it splutters , add chopped onion and chillies .
2) Add chopped pumpkins add little water and salt . Cook for 3 whistles.
Serve hot with rice.
Sending these to FIC - YELLOW hosted by Sunshinemom ,Sankranthi festival by Priti , Srivalli's My Legume Love Affair Event and Susan's Event .and Sudeshna's Festival of Rice.Click here .