Sambar onion - 1 cup
Garlic cloves - 1 cup
Tomato - 1 (medium)
Tamarind - a big lemon size
Mustard,Jeera and Methi seeds - 1 tsp
Curry and coriander leaves
Jaggery - a pinch(optional)
Sambar Powder - 2 tsps
Asafoetida as required
Salt to tase
METHOD OF PREPARATION:
1) Heat oil in a kadai.Add mustard,jeera and methi seeds.When it splutters,add onion and curry leaves.
2) After 2 minutes,add garlic .Fry till onion and garlic becomes tender.
3) Then add chopped tomato.wait till it forms thick gravy.
4) Add sambar powder and salt and saute for 2 minutes.
5) Add thick tamarind extract and allow to boil in medium flame tii the oil separates out.Add asafoetida while boiling.Garnish with coriander leaves before removing from the flame.
Serve hot with rice or puliyotharai.